Live Rock is a rock from the ocean that has been introduced to a saltwater aquarium.
It begins as a skeletal remains of corals. It acts as an ideal habitat for a wide varieties of organisms or microscopic marine life such as plants, animals, algae and invertebrates. It then becomes a “living rock”.
It is harvested and remains moistened to preserve most of the marine life living on it and for us hobbyist to enjoy!
Not all the organisms living in this rock are desirable. It has to go through a process called curing.
It usually takes 3-5 weeks. During curing process undesirable animals that are often hidden in the rock are attempted to be removed. It is usually kept in the dark during this process.
- Aquarium Decorations used for Conserving Natural Reefs
- Perfect for Coral Farming, Culturing Live Rocks & Growing Live Coral
- Rapidly adapts to live environment & Will not affect the cycling of your tank
- Naturally porous Biological Filter, Free of Biofilm & Perfect for aquascaping
- Soaked in deep water well to prevent leeching
Most of the life form on the rock are expected to die off. Most beneficial nitrifying bacteria survives this process.
It offers a couple of benefits to your saltwater aquarium. It functions as a natural biological filter required for the nitrogen cycle.
The amount will determine how well your tank is cycled. Most get 1 pound per gallon for FOWLR – fish only tanks. For marine set up, you would usually get at least 2 pounds per gallon.
It provides a natural food source for some saltwater fish and creates a natural foundation for live corals or other decorations.
It is used to build caves, arches, overhangs and other structures in the aquarium knows as aquascaping.
It also stabilize the water chemistry, helping to maintain constant pH by release of calcium.
It also becomes your decoration especially when it is covered with multiple colors of coralline algae.
* Disclaimer: Saltwater-Aquarium-Online-Guide.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. We may receive a small commission if you click on one of our links and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Saltwater-Aquarium-Online-Guide.com and helping me make it the best site possible!
Last update on 2022-11-29 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API