Testing water is a must for all aquariums. Since you cannot physically see water chemistry, it is very important to check it routinely.
When you first set up your saltwater aquarium, testing the water every day is needed to monitor the water maturation process. Water chemistry will change as you begin adding fish.
After this sensitive period, which lasted for a couple of weeks, it is very important to test your water. I would recommend doing this at least once a week when you make water changes.
Use quality testing equipment or kits to monitor your water parameters.
One of our trusted vendors, API, offers a Saltwater Master Test Kit that includes tests for: High Range pH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. This kit Kit includes 6 bottles of testing solution, 1 color card, and 4 glass test tubes.
Once you have a test kit, test your water and write down your test results. Compare it to your previous test results. If there has been a dramatic change since the last water test in any of the water parameters, action may be required.
See the following:
- If the pH is too low, conduct a water change. See Acid and pH page for more information on how to raise it.
- If the ammonia, nitrite or nitrate is too high, conduct water change. See how nitrogen cycle works to understand more about this topic.
- If carbonate hardness is too low, again, conduct water change and refer to Hardness and Alkalinity page for more information.
- If your salinity or specific gravity is too high or too low, adjust it accordingly.
Return from Water Testing to Saltwater Aquarium Maintenance
* Disclaimer: Saltwater-Aquarium-Online-Guide.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. We may receive a small commission if you click on one of our links and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Saltwater-Aquarium-Online-Guide.com and helping me make it the best site possible!
Last update on 2023-06-06 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API