Reverse osmosis units are the best and most effective in helping create ideal water conditions.
These units filter out up to 99% of the total dissolved solids (TDS) found in tap water.
This will result in a water that is free of minerals and other contaminants.
Why do you need one?
- ZERO TDS WATER- Produce up to 50 gallons of zero TDS water every 24 hours at an affordable price with the RO Buddie plus DI model, The RO Membrane will remove up to 98 percent of the TDS in water and the DI Mixed Bed Resin will remove the remaining TDS
- SEDIMENT REMOVAL - The five-micron sediment filter cartridge traps particulate matter like dirt, silt, and rust with will affect the taste and appearance of the water
- CARBON FILTRATION - The five-micron activated carbon reduces chlorine and conditions the water prior to the RO membrane
- MEMBRANE FILTRATION - The RO membrane reduces impurities known as Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) from the water down to a ratio of 1 out of 10,000 of a micron, reducing arsenic, lead, parasitic cysts, copper and more
- DEIONIZATION - The color-changing deionization mixed-bed resin removes the remaining TDS from the membrane filtered water
Unfortunately, our tap water is not so perfect even if it looks clear, tastes good, and is odor-free. This is if course if we’re talking about using it for our saltwater aquarium.
Algae growth, improper pH levels, and even losing your saltwater fish are some of the problems you will encounter if these compounds are found in your aquarium water.
Luckily, we can use a reverse osmosis unit to prevent all these problems and to make sure that your water is free from potentially harmful elements. And they are becoming more and more popular among aquarists, particularly marine hobbyists for those reasons.
But how do they work?
Reverse osmosis units create purified water by forcing pressurized tap water through a semi-permeable membrane. The membrane only allows very small molecules (such as H2O) to pass through it, effectively removing up to 99% of most water impurities.
You might also want to take note that since it virtually removes everything from tap water, including essential minerals, it may be necessary to add these essential minerals back into the purified water.
If you use marine salt mixes, there’s nothing to worry about. Most of them already has these minerals. Also, it will not be necessary for you to use RO conditioners.
You will know that your water is pure when your aquarium have a very little algae growth, a steady pH level, and low phosphate and nitrate levels.
What about its maintenance?
It is actually pretty easy to maintain and require very little maintenance if it is properly installed.
Your newly installed RO unit must be flushed prior to use. Click here to check out a flash kit for your RO Unit.
Most RO membranes do not need replacing for several years. But the carbon and sediment pre-filters should be replaced at least every six months. And to keep efficiency on the RO membrane, use a flush kit on a regular basis.
By investing in a quality reverse osmosis unit, you’ll save yourself the headaches of unstable water conditions and hours of extra maintenance, while providing your aquarium’s inhabitants with the most optimal water conditions possible.
Here are some Reverse Osmosis units that you can choose and see which one is the best for your needs:
- Enjoy unlimited ultra-fresh, clean, great tasting water right at home. Save money, time and hassle of buying costly, bottled water
- Designed, engineered and assembled in USA, RO-90 is the most durable system in the industry to guarantee water safety & your health
- Tested and certified by WQA to remove up to 99% of contaminants including arsenic, chlorine, lead, fluoride, heavy metals, virus and 1000+ contaminants
- Large super capacity filters deliver 2X contaminant removing capacity for fewer filter change outs compared to smaller all-in-one filters that clog up quickly
- Comes with 100% lead-free designer faucet, plus JG Food grade tubing to provide safe, contamination-free pure water. The original, top-notch JG Quick Connect fittings for easy and secure leak-seal
* Disclaimer: Saltwater-Aquarium-Online-Guide.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. We may receive a small commission if you click on one of our links and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Saltwater-Aquarium-Online-Guide.com and helping me make it the best site possible!
Last update on 2022-11-30 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API