Brown Algae belong to the Phaeophyta group and consist of about 3,000 species, mostly are seaweeds.
Their results from the dominance of a xanthophylls pigment, which masks other pigments including chlorophyll.
Colors range from pale beige to yellow-brown to almost black.
The most common is called kelp. They are the largest algae and can grow greater than 200 feet. Some forms come attached to live rock when purchased.
Like the red algae, brown algae are beneficial for saltwater aquariums.
Causes and Solutions for brown algae
They begin as brown patches on the gravel and/or glass, then quickly covers most surfaces of the saltwater aquarium with a thin, dark brown coating.
It can easily be removed and wiped away. They are common in a newly set up aquarium. It is usually caused by too little light, an excess of silicates, an abundance of nutrients, and too little oxygen.
Silicates can build up through tap water that is high in silicic acid, and silicates that leech from some types of substrates.
Wipe off the surface and siphon the gravel during partial water changes. You can also use silicate absorbing resin in your filter. If you increase the lighting, they will inhibit re-growth.
When placed in your filter, chemical filter media, such as Poly Filter and Phosphate + Silicate Magnet, will remove silicates, phosphate and organic waste materials.
- Quality Aquarium Filter Pads - Great for most aquarium and fish tank filter. The poly filter pads help keep the marine environment clean and balanced for both fresh water and salt water tanks.
- Color Changing Technology - The poly filter pad changes color as it begins to catch pollutants, indicating what is in the water and when the reef tank filter pads needs to be replaced.
- Cleaner Water for Longer - Since the Poly Filter removes both chemical toxins and organic waste, the water stays clear without needing changed as often. Using poly bio filter pads help keep your tank pristine.
- Fits Most Aquarium Filters - Fits most aquarium filter styles including conventional power fish tank filters, plastic under gravel filters, and canister-type power filters which increase the cleaning power of the system you already have.
- Unique Chemical Filtration - Made from a patented material that filters excess pollutants while leaving trace elements necessary for the survival of your tank. Poly Filter pads help remove excess medication after treatments have taken effect.
As your saltwater aquarium matures, they should be eliminated naturally by plants and green algae competing for nutrients.
As with any algae, keeping the tank clean and performing regular water changes is one of the best preventative measures.
Unfortunately, it is still possible to get algae in spite of regular maintenance, especially in a newly established aquarium.
Prompt attention to sudden algae growth will prevent more serious problems.
* Disclaimer: Saltwater-Aquarium-Online-Guide.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com, amazon.co.uk, amazon.ca. Amazon and the Amazon logo are trademarks of Amazon.com, Inc. or its affiliates. We may receive a small commission if you click on one of our links and make a purchase. Thank you for supporting Saltwater-Aquarium-Online-Guide.com and helping me make it the best site possible!
Last update on 2023-12-05 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API